Various authoritative sources like Statistic Brain share an average amount of time students spend on homework per night equals to 3 hours. It is unacceptable! The report adds more than 10% of schoolteachers use their authority to assign more than an hour of homework per a single subject. It makes the students feel exhausted. So, is homework harmful or helpful?
We will try to figure out whether homework assignments are useless in our is homework helpful or harmful argument essay. Would you like to have an expert do the homework for you? It is the best way to obtain more free time and get rid of the stress! Contact dedicated academic writers to solve any type of math problems, biology case studies, science, and other tasks online!
When Is Homework Harmful and When It is Not? Pros & Cons
The articles on homework harmful or helpful like this one should help to defend student’s point either for or against.
Benefits of homeworkWe will first discuss the pros of homework that benefit students learning out of classroom. We will cover several factors to defend homework:
- Review of studied material. When doing homework, a student reviews the material learned in class as well as additional content provided and can get some new insights.
- Better understanding. Doing homework allows students to get a better understanding and deepene knowledge.
- Practice. Usually, the homework is based on information given in class. Students can practice more to practice their skills.
- Improved learning habits and research skills. Doing homework by one's own helps build the learning as well as research skills.
- Reinforces learning. Homework presupposes additional learning and research, which contributes to learning.
- Feedback received. Teachers ususally give students feeldbacks on the completed work, helping them identify their strong and weak sides.
- Improved time management. When you have some tasks to do during the day, you definitely have to plan to cope with all that work.
- Improved academic achievements. Additional research and reviewing of material improves understanding and allows to receive higher grades for tests,
- Excellent problem solution skills. Surely, homework is not always that easy. Coping with tons of educational materials and tasks definitely improves one's problem solution skills.
- Opportunity to gain new skills. A student can make an in-depth research on the topic and find some new issues of interest.
- Minimum of parental control. When teachers give tasks to do, they usually check them. Thus, parents are relieved of this responsibility.
- More independence & freedom. If students have some material that is to be covered at home, they feel more independent in terms of deadlines and resources to use.
- Ability to set priorities. When students have several task with similar deadlines within the same week, they can prioritize them in order of importance.
- Increased responsibility. When you know you have some issues that you are to research and understand that you are responsible for your learning.
- Remote learning. In cases when a student cannot visit school or college for some reason, the number of assigned tasks is huge, and the whole process changes to remote learning.
Why is homework harmful?
The above points show the positive points regarding homework. But definitely, it has cons. Here are the facts proving homework is not helpful.
- A myth about academic advantages is a real myth. A TIMSS proved in their study that 4th-grade kids in regions that set below average amounts of homework tasks tend to succeed more than their overwhelmed peers. It was tested on math and sciences homework assignments. The country with one of the best academic achievements, Japan, shared no more than 3% of students have more than 3 hours of homework assignments per evening. Other countries with great academic results do not support heavy loads. Greek students have the worst scores being overloaded with homework tasks.
- Higher levels of stress are guaranteed! Spending 8 hours or more in the educational institution just to come back home and do more exercises is not the best idea. The mental health of an average child is under threat. Being more emotional and sensitive, a kid quickly gets overwhelmed by the amount of homework assignments. Add problems with family, conflicts with friends, first girlfriend/boyfriend, and other issues - and you will get a formula for the mentally sick child!
- School & college homework is irrelevant in 60% situations. What teachers explain in class and assign to-do-at-home are 2 different things. Each time they assign a task different from the topics covered in class, a child may face an obstacle while doing homework, and think he/she is not smart enough to cope with it.
Example: A teacher explains stratified sampling in class. He assigns homework related to cluster sampling. A student finds it difficult to solve the problems where cluster sampling should be involved as the tutor did not provide specific examples and interpretations in class. (Find the examples of essays here!)
- A student may lack interest in specific fields of study. Many students know what they are going to do in life and what their career will be since their initial years in the educational institution. The subjects that have nothing to do with their goals do not matter to them. The lack of interest makes students succeed in some areas and fail other classes. The issue can turn to a real challenge. It is not fair from the beginning, but having to do homework on the subjects one hates is the worst crime!
- The absence of free time is the worst nightmare! Many children share their nightmares about both Freddy Krueger and lack of time, and it appears that they fear the last one more! They name overwhelming homework assignments among the primary reasons they do not catch up with various life-important activities (hobbies, part-time jobs, dates, etc.)
- There is no real evidence proving it is helpful. Home assignments are generally considered helpful. In fact,there is no reported information or data proving it is really so. Thus, positive relation between homework and improved grades is not proved.
Is Homework Harmful or Helpful Debate: Who Would Win?
After weighing all pros & cons, it is possible to answer the question, “Is homework harmful or helpful debate?” In any debate, the most popular solution is to achieve a balance, and this one is not an exception. We gave a hint above. The amount of homework depends on the academic level of the student. The scientists have concluded the best time spent on homework assignments for different age groups are the following:
- Elementary school - 30-40 minutes;
- Middle school - no more than 90 minutes;
- Junior-high aged students - no more than 2 hours and a half (2 hours is a better option).
Other experts who managed to achieve the balance offer a bit different approach. Try multiplying the student’s grade by 10 to define the corresponding number of homework minutes per night. It means that a kid from the 6th grade should not be assigned more than an hour of homework tasks per evening. Individual needs and skills matter as well.
The core outtakes of the article are:
- Keep in mind the primary goal of homework. It helps to come up with rote memorization and provide the necessary amount of time to get a deeper knowledge via elaboration and improve the existing skills;
- Relate the homework assignments to the study goals to gain a better learning experience;
- Make it possible to explore several concepts deeper than the rest of the terms;
- Giving feedback on time. Every student has a right to realize what they did at the acceptable level and what to improve. Quizzes & tests are some of the evaluation tools. Homework assists in defining strengths and weaknesses faster;
- Online homework assistance. When you overloaded with home assignments, it is a good idea to look for online homework help to avoid stress.
- The participation of parents must be restricted to facilitate the accomplishment of the tasks - there is no way family members will do the job instead of a kid. Parents who do not enhance learning - leave the kids alone!
- Home assignment should be based on material discussed in class. It should not transform to self education.
- Students should be given the adequate amount of homework they can cover within the time available daily.
General tips to help students cope with homeworkWe should face the fact that regradless of all the drawbacks, students are still givven a lot of homework. We have prepared some general tips that will help you manage all the task faster.
- Start early and leave yourself enough time for the homework.
- Create a schedule
- Prioritize the assignments
- Do hard tasks first
- Resort to homework help services if you feel you cannot cope with it
- Take breaks
- Try to avoid studying the whole night
- Create a reward system for yourself
Would you like to prove why homework is useless? If you support the idea of assigning homework tasks, you may still want to make other people take your position. Maybe you are assigned an essay on the topic Is homework helpful or harmful? Or you are just looking for the assistance to cope with your homework? In any case, you can get austom essays explaining the pros & cons of any topic from the affordable paper writers online. Come on, it is time to prove your position to the world!