You have just got the task to write a persuasive or argumentative American dream essay, right? True, a very interesting task and an important element of your education, however, you need to be an experienced writer to cover the topic. Maybe you need to learn some instructions or examine the experience of other students who have already tackled that challenge successfully. The key objective of our review is to help you explore this area and explain the concept of the American dream. This literary essay type requires an individual approach, and our goal is to explain how to deal with it.
Indeed, the topic is very easy. All you have to do is to explore it, learn the history of America, and then immerse yourself in writing an essay about the American dream.
In this review, we’ll provide you with a few insightful tips that might help you understand where to start and what ideas to include in your American dream paper.
What is the American dream today?
First, you need to choose an approach to the problem. Today the statement of ‘American dream’ can be viewed from different angles. One way is to focus on the ‘happiness’ part, describing how the United States’ nation enjoys its freedom, numerous opportunities and the life in a strong and powerful country. An opposite approach is a critical glance at this famous notion, for example, arguing that the ‘American dream’ is just a phantom urging people in the United States to chase idealized goals, increasing anxiousness in the society.
Obviously, the general structure and the arguments used in both cases will be absolutely different, though each of these approaches would be a legitimate way to compose the American dream essay and make it a good job.
Regardless of which approach you have chosen, your essay must contain the detailed definition of the American dream notion at its beginning. A thorough research using dictionaries and encyclopedias is important in order to provide a reader with this general information and examples. The following basic qualities are recommended to use in order to explain how this statement should be understood:
- Civil liberties
- Respect from society
- Prosperity earned by hard work
A lot more items can be added to this list, of course. Essentially it depends on which approach you prefer and what you think about this notion yourself. Composing a really outstanding essay and achieving the highest grade as a result typically requires choosing a narrow topic. For that purpose, it is recommended to pick just a few items from the list above and cover them in your essay. Then your American dream essay will be focused just on certain aspects and examples, and your target audience will understand your statement, which is good for education.
How to start an essay about the American dream
To make a good start, you can highlight how important is the notion or explain your own personal interest in this topic. This introduction does not need to be very long, 2-3 sentences are usually enough. Ideally, it should engage your target audience, make examples, address the society, draw everyone’s interest in the discussion, and gain you true support.
A detailed explanation of the American dream notion should go next. As mentioned above, this should be a neutral description, unbiased if possible, and not necessarily connected with your selected approach to the problem itself (positive or critical). The purpose is to provide your reader with the information about the topic so that your further thoughts and arguments could be fully understood. It is recommended to briefly trace back the history of this phenomenon, showing the circumstances of its creation and explaining its importance to the United States’ job culture, public opinion, dreams, and social values. This is why you should perform a good research prior to composing this part so that you could strengthen it with proper sources and quotes.
In general, the starting part should be brief but concise. It does not have to exceed 25% of your American dream essay. Your true point of view on this topic, displaying the chosen approach and probably your personal thoughts as well should go next, making the main part of the text. A couple of reviews are necessary when you might want to change some details.
How to write a powerful American dream essay
You can definitely explore and find a variety of writing tips, but not all of them can be used while dealing with this type of essay. Every person treats the term ‘American dream’ differently. So, we’ve gathered 7 valuable tips that might help you write an amazing American dream essay:
- Meaning. Explain what the term means to you.
- Research. Conduct a thorough study and choose only reliable sources.
- Outline. Create an in-depth outline and determine every step in writing.
- Structure your essay properly.
- Plan. It’s evident that writing is a creative process, but you need to follow a pre-written outline. As a result, you won’t lose the main idea.
- Logical transition. There should always be one between paragraphs, so add more transitional phrases. Doesn’t matter what your analysis is about.
- Revise your American dream essay a couple of times, preferably on the next day.
These are the basic steps to compose your paper about the American dream. In order to ensure its success, you need to organize it in a proper way. As a result, it will be easier for you to write and for your audience to read it! Sometimes, students can’t organize their thoughts because they live with an awful lot of different tasks with the same deadlines, not to mention job and family. In such a case, the use of planning apps might be the best solution. So, this is how to structure your American dream essay properly:
- An introductory section with an attractive hook that grabs readers’ attention. So start writing with the provocative sentences about the history of the United States, Martin Luther King, immigrants, dreams, prosperity etc. Reach out for appropriate sources.
- Write a few body paragraphs, covering the topic (usually three or five paragraphs are enough). Agitate the emotions you put up earlier. Try to achieve more in fewer words.
- Write an inspiring conclusion summing up everything you bring to your audience with your American dream essay, whether it is a thought, an idea, an average person’s dreams, or some kind of a solution. It usually takes just a few sentences.
If you're a goal-oriented student who used to achieve the best grades, you need to double-check your essay about the American dream once again and change some parts probably.
Following our recommendations, you’ll create an exciting essay about the American dream which will definitely be appreciated by your tutor.
15 burning American dream essay topics of the day
Narrative topics, high school level
- What does the American dream mean to you?
- How has the American dream changed over time?
Descriptive topics, high school / college level
- How does Gatsby represent the American dream?
- How to achieve the American dream?
- How does income inequality affect the American dream?
- How does ‘Tragedy and the Common Man’ relate to the American dream?
- How is consumer culture related to the American dream?
- What is your personal definition of the American dream?
- How do modern pop music hits reflect the American dream?
Argumentative topics, college level
- 3 reasons why the American dream is still alive.
- What does democracy have to do with the American dream?
- Why is the American dream dead?
- Is the American dream still possible today?
- Why don't people believe in the American dream?
- Why do Americans claim the American dream to be Donald Trump?
American dream essay example
Why Don’t People Believe in the American dream
This happy vision of perfect life has been one of the most influential ideas that have shaped the American culture, based on immigrants’ ancestry and gaining prosperity through hard work.
The American dream has formed as a cultural construct by the end of the 19th century when industrial development and rapid growth of cities created a new psychology of the working class. A young man, honest and hardworking, ought to be able to reach content and wealth near the end of his life, surrounded by a happy family and live in his own big house in a free and prosperous country.
Such expectations has been dominant throughout the next century as well, getting strongly supported by economic development and opportunities of 1920s and America’s triumph after 1945. The exact phrase was first popularized in 1931. However, beginning from the 70s, with disappointment from the Vietnam war, unemployment, and rise of income inequality, critical references to the American dream began to appear more often.
Today the idea of earning a fortune in the land of unlimited freedom seems to have a substantial crisis. Political turmoil at home together with economic, social and ecological uncertainties do not strengthen the Americans’ belief into those simple values of the old times. Apparently, for a great deal of the United States’ population, the American dream cannot be a unifying idea in the post-industrial era, and more relevant nationwide goals answering people’s dreams and lives are needed to replace it.
Help me write my American dream essay!
Indeed, essay writing is a time-sapping task, especially when you need to cover a controversial topic about the American dream as a part of your education, providing valid examples of how people live with it. However, we are sure that you’ll make it perfect with the help of our expert pieces of advice and achieve success. Good job!
If this task is too complicated for you or you simply have no spare time to immerse in the fascinating world of writing (work and family are demanding indeed!), our experts are ready to assist you. Don’t spend your precious time on the task, which you don't want to do.
It is much better to entrust it to people with many years of experience in this niche. As a result, you’ll get a top-notch essay about the American dream written in accordance with your demands.