The professor has asked you to write an informative essay and now you are searching for good guides because you want an A? You are in the right place. We will help you cope with your homework. The article will provide you with all the necessary information starting with definition and an outline and to the great ideas for topics and examples.
What is an informative essay
An informative essay is one of the most common types of academic writing both at schools and college. The main purpose of the informative essay is to inform the reader about the subject discussed in paper, either an idea, notion, phenomenon, person, etc.
Informative essay vs expository essay
Students often ask questions and confuse informative and expository papers. At first glance, they might be similar. But, there is a difference. The main purpose of an informative essay is to inform. Papers of this type should not include the author’s viewpoint or taking side, while in an expository essay the writer makes an argument and expresses their position to some extent.
What to include in an informative essay
Informative essay has its peculiarities and compulsory elements. When writing an informative essay, keep to classical essay structure, ie. introduction, main body, and conclusion. This type of essay does not presuppose sharing your opinion, it should be informative in essence. Thus, avoid using first person narration as well as expressing your opinion in this type of essay.
Informative essay outline
An informative essay sample outline looks as follows
- Start with a hook
- Introduce the topic
- Provide background information on the topic
- Add thesis statement
The main body should consist of at least three paragraphs. Each paragraph should have:
- Topic sentence
- Controlling and supporting sentences
- Concluding sentence
- Discuss one idea per paragraph
- Each idea should be relevant to the thesis statement
The concluding paragraph should
- Include a sentence that restate thesis statement
- Summarize the main ideas discussed in paper (no copy-pasting or repetitive ideas)
- Conclude the whole paper
- No new ideas or those that contradict the information provided in the body of the essay
How to write a good informative essay
An informative essay writing is much more simple than a response paper, research paper, or cause and effect essay. The writing process is easy.
- Check the instructions. First, you should check the instructions to be sure you understand the task and what you should you. In case you don’t, don’t be afraid to clarify the question with your professor.
- Brainstorm and choose the topic for your informative essay. If the topic was not assigned by the professor, you should find it by yourself. Choose the informative essay topic you are interested in and the one that is relevant to your class. Also, make sure that there is enough information on the issue to be discussed in paper and that you will be able to cover the chosen subject within the set word count.
- Draft a thesis statement and create an outline. First formulate the main idea of your essay, which is a thesis statement, and then start writing. You may also create an outline for your essay, which will serve as a plan. You will not need to think what to discuss next. When you have a plan, you just follow it.
- Write the paper. When you have a plan, you can start essay writing. It will be easy, as you just need to develop each idea in the order presented in your outline. Do not forget that your paper should have intro, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
- Title your essay. When you are done with the essay writing, it’s high time to create a catchy and a pertinent title for your paper. Do it when the paper is complete and you are aware of what's in it.
- Proofread and edit your paper. Even if you are super sure that the paper is flawless, double-check it to be on the safe side. If there are no mistakes in it, you will make sure that you a profi another time. If there are some mistakes, you will have the opportunity to correct them. Also, check your paper for plagiarism. Even if you have written the whole paper by yourself, you can face unintentional plagiarism. You should be aware of that, and fix it if this is the case.
How to start an informative essay
An informative essay starts with an introductory paragraph. As it’s the first things a reader sees, this part has several main purposes:
- To catch the reader’s attention
- To provide general information about what is to be discussed
- Present the main idea of the paper and the writer’s attitude to it
To successfully fulfill the first purpose, the essay should start with a hook sentence. There exist different ideas for the hook. It can be:
- A real-life example
- An joke
- A relevant quote
- Shocking statistics
- An interesting fact
- A provocative question.
You can use any of these techniques to begin your informative essay. But, the main idea is that the information you provide should be relevant to your topic.
How to write a thesis for an informative essay
It is an important part that should be present in any type of paper. A thesis statement is one or rarely a couple of sentences that are placed at the end of the introduction. It takes time to write a good thesis statement, as in one sentence you have to express the idea of the whole paper as well as present your view point. It should be clear, succinct, and debatable.
A thesis statement cannot:
- Be a quote (without your comments)
- Bare fact ( without your comments)
- Be placed anywhere but introduction
- Be a question
- Present two contradicting ideas
An example of a good thesis statement:
Because half of all American elementary school children consume nine times the recommended daily allowance of sugar, schools should be required to replace the beverages in soda machines with healthy alternatives.
How to end an informative essay
An informative essay should end with a conclusion paragraph. It is the part that sums up the whole paper.
A good conclusion should:
- Restate the thesis statement
- Summarize the main points discussed in essay
- Summarize the whole paper by answering the So what? question
Avoid such things in a conclusion part
- Copy pasted sentences or repetitive ideas from the essay
- New ideas
- Ideas or facts that contradict the information provided in paper
Professional tips for comprehensive informative essay writing
If you want to make your essay impeccable, follow these simple pieces of advice from professional writers. They will help you improve your informative writing
- Choose the topics you are interested in and which is relevant
- Create a thesis statement and an outline before writing your essay
- Keep to the classical essay structure (intro, body, conclusion)
- Make sure each paragraph has topic sentence as well as supporting and controlling sentences
- Each idea discussed in paper should be related to thesis statement
- Do not copy paste or repeat ideas in an essay
- Always proofread your essay for mistakes and check for plagiarism before submission
Sample informative essay
Check an example of a good informative essay
Great ideas for informative essay topics
Run out of ideas for your informative essay topic? Check our list
- The reason behind an increase in popularity of tattoos
- Who has invented homework?
- Who was the most effective president of the US
- What are the outcomes of Coronavirus outbreak on the global economy
- The main events 2020
- The effect of COVID 19 on education
- Pros and cons of gun control
- The reasons behind and the outcomes of Cancel culture
- Healthy food for students
- How does music affect the lifestyle?
- The effects of classical music on mental activity
- Consequences of World War I/II
- The legendary life of Cobe Briant
- The effects of depression on health
- The main reasons of stress among college students
- The impact of Andy Warhol on American art
- The reasons and the outcomes of the Black Lives Matter Movement
- 27 club artists
- Child upbringing in same-sex couples
- Countries with the highest poverty levels
Where to get professional help
You must be a profi now after reading the guide. And you will be able to write an impressive A+ informative essay with minimum effort. If you want to dedicate your time to other important issues and tasks, use online writing services. Experienced professional writers will complete your custom paper in no time.